Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bleep My Clients Say







Sooo....there is this new show called S#!$%(Bleep) My Dad Says, and you know, that fits quite nicely into my life. Every week, if not every day, I walk out of a meeting thinking to myself, "Wow, was that really just said?" But we'll get to that soon enough!







I made this delicious cake for my brother in laws birthday. It's super delicious, and not at ALL good for you ;)
Oreo Cake
1 box Devils Food Cake Mix
4 Squares Baker semi sweet baking chocolate
1/4 cup of butter
8 oz softened Philadelphia Cream Cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups thawed Cool Whip (I used the whole tub)
12 Oreos (to start with, haha) crushed

Cook the cake as directed on the box, making sure you use two round pans. While the cake is cooking, mix up the sugar, Cool Whip, and Cream Cheese. Add in the crushed Oreos. Once the cake is cooked and cooled, spread the cream cheese mix over the top of one of the layers (I like to cut the top off so I have an even surface to work with) and then cover it with the other layer. Then, according to melting directions, melt the Baker chocolate and butter together. Drizzle it over the top of the cake, and add additional crushed Oreo's, if desired (in this case, I desired). Keep the cake cool, when you aren't digging in :)

1 Corinthians 13:11-13
For when I was a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish was behind me. Now we see but a poor reflections in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Love is what I operate by, so of course I love any verse or passage that states that love is the greatest of all characteristics to possess. Obviously, love being the characteristic that relates most directly back to forgiveness, and Christ like behavior. Always a good lesson.


And in the nature of love....I shall now divulge you all with the thorough humor that sometimes comes with being a case manager. If you so choose to take it this way. You will notice, that in a group of case managers, or other mental health professionals, the sense of humor can become a little bit odd. It's a coping mechanism that we all develop, so please don't confuse it with cruelty. What brings this up, and has caused me to think of this today, is a conversation I had earlier with one of my clients. This is an adult that I work with, and they can be just as entertaining as the kids at times. Now, the conversation at hand was surrounding his current dilema with his live in partner, and housing. Apparently at one time, the partner threatend to call me, and let me know that my client may be out of housing, to which my client found it appropriate to tell her, "Go ahead and call Kaila, I'm sure she'd love to hear from you. In fact, Kaila told me to leave you!!" Umm.....no I didn't. I told this client that if he felt that his relationship would interfere with his treatment, then I supported him in that decision, LIKEWISE, if he felt that having her around would be beneficial, I would support that too. It just seemed like he was leaning the other way. I quickly made sure to clarify this with him, and asked him not to say this in the future, a the last thing I need is an enraged lover knocking on my door wondering why I am encouraging her boyfriend to leave her.

I've had a few other very interesting conversations in my day. One of these happend as I first started working at Lourdes, and was meeting with a client for one of the first times. This child is a very concrete thinker, which means that he takes things VERY literally. We were having a conversation about my travels to Africa. My client asked me if I had seen a lion while I was in Africa, and I explained that I had not been so lucky. My client asked if I had seen a tiger, and I explained that this was an Asian cat, so I had not seen a tiger in Africa. Thinking about this, the client very seriously asked me if I had seen a Liger. I didn't know what to say, and so I chose silence (while I was dying inside) while I processed this. A few seconds later my client says, "A liger is a cross between a lion and a tiger." I politely explained to my client that, while I knew what he was talking about, the animal is not real. Turns out, I am wrong, they have successfuly bred a liger. However, I had to explain to my client again, this is not something that would naturally occur in nature, and so, No, it's not something I came across on a safari.

There are conversations I could go on and on about, but frankly, I can't think of them all at this time. So I will leave your mouth watering, and promise a part two, when I can give you a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment