Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lonely Wednesdays


Well, I suppose that it's time to add a little form and follow through to my blogging. It might take me awhile to get the format and the habit down, but I think Wednesdays might work out for me, as my beloved is out golfing, and I sit lonely!! So here are things I would like to make consistents.....a recipe that I have recently used, and LOVED...or HATED (warnings are only fair) and a Bible Verse that I've recently read and been inspired by. Not to prothelitize (I think thats the right spelling, and also it's verbage stolen from our wedding officiant), but to just let you all know what inspires me to live the way that I do every day :) So lets do this!!

Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens "New Cookbook: Bridal Edition"
SPICEY CHICKEN AND RICE BAKE
2 1/2 - 3 lbs meat chicken pieces ( I just used boneless skinless chicken breasts)
1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped green sweet pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp cooking oil
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup tomato juice
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
2/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp chili powder
1/8 - 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
Paprika

In a large saucepan cook the onion, green pepper, and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in black beans, tomoatoes, tomato juice, corn, rice (uncooked), and chili powder and red pepper. Bring to a boil. Transfer to a baking dish, and arrange your chicken on top; sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake at 375 for 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked all the way through. Makes 6 servings, at 355 cal per serving. Warms up great!!

Sean added a few of his own spices, because it's not SUPER spicey, so I think we'll play with this one. I also added some fresh cut avocado on top of mine. And I warmed in up about 2 days later and it tasted great as well. Let me know what YOU think!

Matthew 7:1-2
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. -- I think that's pretty much enough said.

Soooo, to the real, meaty stuff. Married life is great so far. I really enjoy having our own house, making decisions together, and generally "taking care" of him, as much as he takes care of me. Let's face it, he did most of the hard work when it came to buying the house, so I've made it a bit of my mission to make sure it stays looking good. It's weird....I find myself taking on some of the traits of my mother....like....standing over the sink until he's done eating breakfast (that I've cooked) and then rinsing his dishes and putting them in the dish washer. This AFTER I've unloaded in from the previous night....what!?!? I've also noticed myself purusing a little through cookbooks, and finding things to cook for my fella....I just love it when a I get a "Good job, baby. We'll make this again," from him. And I'm loving finding new things to bake....which is REALLY what I love to do :) Both of us are just working our butts off right now, making sure we stay ahead of the game and keep our finances in line. We have a lot planned for the summer, and thank goodness most of it is around our house. I love being here, and I can't wait to get our puppy back here. It's sad when I don't have someone to great me at the door that jumps all over me and gives me a little bit of a tongue bath (well, besides Sean!!). That is when it will REALLY feel like home. We are looking forward to our first BBQ, after Sean puts our BBQ together, and another upcoming vacation to Wallowa for his family reunion.

More to come soon!

1 comment:

  1. just peeking at your blog and it looks like a fairy tale....
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete